It all started with a 10hr drive from Danville VA TO 567 HOAG RD NY! We left at 7pm and got there at 5am Saturday.It was a really long drive but well worth the trip, we cant wait to go back! So once we got there early Saturday Chris and I slept in our car in the drive way as Dennis had spent the night at his friend Phillips house. We got about 3 hours of good sleep and then it was off to see the sights of NY!I started my day out with a nice hot shower (IN THE BARN), and then we headed off to Phillip and Norma's house. Chris had met these people before but it was my first time. They were very nice and very friendly they told us that if we ever wanted to come back when Dennis was not there that we had a place to stay. So we sat and talked with them and listened to some stories, my favorite story and i will never forget this was one day Dennis and Phillip discovered these very large amounts of poop all over the ground, cars, house you name it was on it. Dennis and Phillip said that it was nothing they had ever seen before and did know what to think of it. So Dennis trying to take care of the situation decided to call the FAA and he riped the guy a new one on the phone telling him that airlines were dropping waste out of there planes. So the gentleman on the phone instructed Dennis to check the poop and if there was a black center it was not human poop but it was bird poop. Sure enough it turned out to be bird poop! They were astonished that it had come out of a bird! I thought it was so funny that Dennis had called the FAA! So after listening to many stories and having a few good laughs we carried on with our day and made our way to the Tractor store to pick up a few things. Then we stopped off at this road stand where they had all this fresh fruit, veggies, bread, jam, so many YUMMY things! We picked up 2 jars of jam made by the Amish, and some apples.Then we had lunch at Bob Evans, and also got some of there amazing BBQ sauce!!Then we went to Lowe's and Dennis bought a Washer, and a Fridge for his barn. We also stopped at Jamestown Mattress so he could get a bed! He is all set up to live in his barn now, and he loves it! After we ran errands and drove all over town we went back to the barn to set everything up and this is when Chris learned WHAT and HOW to Brush Hog!Its basically cutting the grass but when its over grown and a lawn mower wont do the trick you hook this part up to the back of the tractor and cut all the yard with that. It took Chris 1 day to complete about 5acres. After a while Chris started to look the part...Shirt off, drinking a pop, and just enjoying what he was doing. He even offered to Brush Hog other peoples property! We had to call him in for dinner, otherwise he would have been out there all night. So Dennis took us to this place called "The Bucket" and its known for its Fish Fry however by the time that we got to Sugar Grove PA (about 10 miles from the barn) they were sold out of this Fish Fry, so we had some other type of fish.I have no idea what i ate but it was good! Sugar Grove is this very small little town, but its one of Dennis favorite places to go! He drove his Gator there and keep in mind that his gator only goes about 20mph! So it takes time for him to go shopping! So after dinner we went back to the barn and Chris and I busted out our air mattress and we set up our bed in the middle of the barn! I never thought i would be able to say that i slept in a barn! But it really wasn't that bad, the best part was waking up opening the barn doors, and just taking in the view that they have! Its incredible,i just felt this sense of peace come over me! Once we got up and moving (SUNDAY) we went Charlene's house (a cousin to Dennis)they showed us there property and all the cows that they have. We even fed the cows apples! I thought only horses ate apples.So we hung out there for a little while and then we headed off to Phylis house (another cousin) we only visited with her a little while as we had so much to see! Dennis wanted to show us where the family grave yard was, this is where his grandfather, grandmother, his father, and both aunts, and the extended family are buried. There is so much Wares Family History here its incredible! After the walk down his family history we went to another one of Dennis favorite places to eat its a small General Store in Ashville. They have amazing PIZZA there, everything is fresh and made to order! The cheese is even fresh!! Once we were done with lunch Dennis took us threw the town that he grew up in Jamestown. it was really cool to drive down the streets where Dennis' grandfather Bird Wares gave him his first bike and told him "here's your freedom boy" and that's what Dennis used it for. Dennis rode his bike all over this town as a little kid. and even to his favorite candy shop!the look on Dennis' face when he got to show us where he grew up was priceless. It seemed like he turned back into a little kid all over again.This was one of the best afternoons we have had in a long time, meeting the family, seeing the history, hanging out with Dennis and just enjoying life I have never see Dennis this relaxed and so happy as i did when he was in New York. This state gives you a feeling where you don't want to leave!You just feel so peaceful and carefree! I know i was there. Now Chris and I know why him and Cheryl want to retire there. Its so beautiful back there.Being able to watch Chris and Dennis bond the way they did, with nothing but property, a barn, and a tractor was really something. Chris and I did not want to go home, if Chris could have taken 1 or 2 days off we would still be there, and i would not be writing my blog as we drive home.But we know that all great things must come to an end at some point. So this morning we went for breakfast at Tim Horton's! This was a huge treat for me Tim Horton's is really big in Canada and i only get it when i go back to visit so when i saw that they had one there i just had to have my last meal there!Its a coffee shop with donuts, and sandwich's, and so many amazing baked goods! I took a small piece home with me TIM BITS! (Doughnut holes to you Americans)Then Dennis took us to the Amish country and it was so neat to see how this people live, Dennis wanted a picnic table so we went to Johnny the guy who built the barn and he took us to his brothers house who builds picnic tables and so much more, it was really cool to see these men do what they do best build things!Chris and I really enjoyed our Labor day weekend with Dennis it was one of the best times that i have ever had with Dennis and Chris. If you ever get the chance to go and Visit Dennis and Cheryl in New York i urge you to make the trip, it will change your life!
Chris Brush Hoging!
Father & Son
I was getting lessons!
Lovin Life!
Looks just like his Garage!
This was taken from the road.
Proud Barn Owner
His New Bed
Our New Bed!
Our View Every Morning!
Doin Laundry
Toby Loved it there!
Really friendly cows
They wanted his apples
Charlene & Dennis
The Ashville General Store (Awesome Pizza)
Dennis' Father
Amish Laddies going shopping
Amish School
Another Buggy!
My Happy Place
Do i need to say anything.....
Cutest couple ever!



5 comments:
It looks like you guys had an amazing time. My Mom and Dad were out there with Dennis last year and they had a great time. I love Jamestown! When I was a kid we went to visit and got to pick cherries off of Dennis's Mom's cherry tree and It is still a great memory of mine. One of these days while we live in the mid-west we are going to crazy that barn and see what it's all about :)
I'm glad you guys got to go visit Dennis in New York. It looks like you had the best time! Mike and I look forward to going there when he and Cheryl are established there. I love the country...it is so beautiful!
How fun! I wish we could go visit there...it does look peaceful.
Oh... I wish I was there. My dad took me back about 15+ years ago and I keep telling Doug we have to go, maybe next summer. I am so glad you guys went. My dad called today and was very lonely so I know he appreciates the visit a lot! Love you guys!
Wow, what a great trip you had! I know just how you feel. . .there is a certain peace you feel out in all that open land. Glad to hear you were able to spend some special time with your Dad and other family. I love the area too and look forward to another visit soon. You look mighty comfortable on that tractor Christopher!!
Post a Comment